Category: News

press release

Miami SAO Partners With Local Law Enforcement To Arrest Alleged Fugitive Super Bowl Sex Trafficker

Logo: Miami SAO 2

Miami SAO Partners With Local Law Enforcement To Arrest Alleged Fugitive Super Bowl Sex Trafficker

Arrest of Alleged Fugitive Super Bowl Sex Trafficker Allegedly sold 17-year-old for cash

Miami (September 4, 2020) – Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle and the State Attorney’s Office Human Trafficking Task Force, City of Miami Beach Police Chief Richard Clements, City of Coral Gables Police Chief Ed Hudak, City of Miami Police Chief Jorge Colina, City of Miami-Gardens Police Chief Delma Noel-Pratt, Miami-Dade Police Director Alfredo Ramirez, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida Ariana Fajardo Orshan, Special Agent in Charge of the Miami Field Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) George Piro and Special Agent In Charge of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Miami Anthony Salisbury announce the arrest of 28 year-old Anthony Bernard Carter who had been sought on an outstanding warrant for a variety of Human Trafficking charges.

Twenty-eight (28) year-old Anthony Bernard Carter was arrested for:

• 1 count Human Trafficking with a Victim <18 – Life Felony
• 1 count Human Trafficking with a Victim via Commercial Sexual Activity of a Child by Transporting a Victim under 18 into Florida – 1st Degree Felony
• 1 count Deriving Support from the Proceeds of Prostitution – 2nd Degree Felony
• 1 count Aggravated Fleeing / Elude a Police Officer – 2nd Degree Felony
• 1 count Interference with Custody of a Minor – 3rd Degree Felony
• 1 count Unlawful Use of a Communications Device – 3rd Degree Felony

Prosecutors are currently reviewing the evidence and looking to file charges on September 17, 2020.

On January 22, 2020, Miami Beach Police Human Trafficking Detectives were conducting a proactive undercover operation designed to identify and assist juvenile and adult victims of Human Trafficking. Both the 17-year-old victim and Anthony Bernard Carter are Georgia natives who appeared to have come to Miami Beach in connection with events related to Super Bowl 54 (also known as Super Bowl LIV) which took place at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens on Sunday, Feb. 2, 2020.

As a part of the operation, detectives looked through online escort postings offering “out calls” that, based on their training and experience, displayed indicators of Human Trafficking. Detectives targeted postings offering “out-calls” in the Miami and Miami Beach area. The term “out-call” refers to “dates” in which an escort or prostitute travels to meet a client. The police intercepted escorts, offered them refuge and assistance, and gathered evidence connecting alleged traffickers to the commercial sale of sexual services.

In this case, the police collected evidence connecting Anthony Bernard Carter to the sale of a 17-year-old victim for commercial sexual activity. After police recovered the 17-year-old victim, police tried to arrest Carter, who fled the scene in a car, eventually abandoning it. When officers searched the car, they found an abundance of evidence that allowed them to obtain a warrant for Carter’s arrest from the courts.

“Miami Beach Detectives and all the human trafficking task force partners did a fantastic job investigating this case and obtaining the evidence leading to this arrest. This case is a testament to the commitment of our law enforcement agencies in Miami-Dade County to disrupting the activities of potential Human Traffickers during the Super Bowl,” said State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle. “Our Human Trafficking Task Force and our Miami-Dade law enforcement agencies were united to end such predation.”

“We are committed to locating predators who commit atrocious acts on their victims and taking them off the street,” said Police Chief Richard Clements.

If you are interested in seeking commentary from State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle (who will be available after 1:00 p.m.), you may email Ed Griffith at EdGriffith@MiamiSAO.com to make the necessary arrangements.

Read More

WSVN: Man convicted of battering gay men in downtown Miami

MIAMI (WSVN) – A man was convicted of hate crime charges and sent to prison after he yelled homophobic slurs and beat up two gay men while they were walking their dog in downtown Miami. Quenton Moss was sentenced to two years in prison after he pleaded guilty to hate crime charges connected to a battery on May 18. Click here to view the complete story.

Read More
Hate crime background, 3D rendering, rough street sign collectio

Three- year study reveals insights for fighting hate crimes, Miami-Dade State Attorney, FIU, MDPD & SAVE working to end LGBTQ Victimization

Virtual Press Conference: Three- year study reveals insights for fighting hate crimes, Miami-Dade State Attorney, FIU, MDPD & SAVE working to end LGBTQ Victimization

Photo: Hate Crimes Poster

Miami, Fla. (September 16, 2020) -Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle; Dr. Besiki L. Kutateladze, associate professor of in Florida International University’s Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice and associate director for prosecution and courts in the University’s Center for the Administration of Justice; Miami-Dade Police Department, and Orlando Gonzalez, executive director of Safeguarding American Values for Everyone, Inc. (SAVE) will announce the findings of a U.S. Department of Justice three-year study.

The project focuses on hate crime victimization within Miami’s Latino LGBTQ community. The implications of this research go beyond this particular community and can help improve the criminal justice system’s response to hate crimes motivated by victims’ race, religion, disability, or other identities.

WHO:     The Honorable Katherine Fernandez Rundle, Miami-Dade State Attorney, Dr. Besiki L. Kutateladze, Researcher and Professor, FIU Dept. of Criminology and Criminal Justice and associate director for Prosecution and Courts in the University’s Center for the Administration of Justice, Alfredo Ramirez III, Director, Miami-Dade Police Department, and Orlando Gonzales, Executive Director, SAVE Inc.

WHAT:  Hosting a Virtual Press Conference

WHEN:  Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 2 p.m.

Please Register for Event here: https://fiu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0od-qtqDsvGtdCeJW729QgPOE4BB3bJ67m

PHOTO/INTERVIEW: Summary of report and findings will be attached.

WATCH:    An expert-filled panel discussion will follow the press conference please go to

PUBLIC EVENT: https://bit.ly/3hHxbpq

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:  Click here to access these valuable hate crime fighting insights.

For more information, contact Lissette Valdes-Valle, Public Information Officer, at (305) 547-0885 at LissetteValdes-Valle@MiamiSAO.com.

Read More

Miami SAO Partners With Local Police Departments To Rescue Teenage Sex Trafficking Victim

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, Miami Springs Police Chief Armando Guzman, Miami Beach Police Chief Richard Clements and City of Miami Police Chief Jorge Colina announce the successful rescue of a 14-year-old girl who was allegedly being sold on social media after having run away from home some weeks earlier.

Read More

For Immediate Release: Charged Sexual Assault Defendant Returned to Miami-Dade

Logo: Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office

For Immediate Release: Charged Sexual Assault Defendant Returned to Miami-Dade Previously Deported by ICE Prior to Criminal Trial

Click here to access the PDF version of this release.

Miami – (August 14, 2020) – Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, in cooperation with Gadyaces S. Serralta, the United States Marshal for the Southern District of Florida, Coral Gables Police Department Chief Ed Hudak, and the Department of Justice Office of International Affairs, announces the Miami-Dade return of charged sexual assault defendant Werner Orozco.

Prior to standing trial in 2018, Orozco had been physically removed from the Dade County Jail by United States Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) and deported back to his home country of Guatemala to live as a free man. This occurred thirteen (13) days after he was arrested by Coral Gables Police for raping a young woman he knew. Once returned to
Guatemala, Orozco often traveled from Guatemala, through Panama, to the Bahamas where he was employed as a bartender at a local tourist spot. This troubled law enforcement officials.

“Deporting Werner Orozco without requiring him to face these serious criminal charges
undercut the very credibility of our criminal justice system. Neither I nor our law enforcement partners could ever allow that to stand,” said State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle. 

“The victim deserved so much more. I am grateful for the diligence and commitment of my
prosecutors and staff in the Extradition Section of the Legal Unit of the Miami Dade State Attorney’s Office, the commitment of the Coral Gables Police Department, the United States Marshals Service, the Department of Justice Office of International Affairs and Panamanian Law Enforcement for their unwillingness to allow Orozco to remain free with a pending rape charge. This criminal case will finally be resolved in a courtroom.”

According to police reports, the alleged assault occurred August 12, 2018 in Coral Gables after Orozco and the victim had gone out together. Upon returning to the victim’s residence, Orozco allegedly proceeded to physically pin the victim against her kitchen countertop and forcibly raped her. On September 11, 2018, Orozco was taken into custody by the City of Coral Gables Police Department and charged with sexual battery. Thirteen days later, he was deported without the knowledge of the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office, the Coral Gables Police or the victim. A criminal Information was filed by prosecutors charging Orozco with sexual battery and efforts began to have him returned to Miami-Dade County to face these charges.

 

###

For further information, contact Terry Chavez, Public Information Officer, at TerryGonzalez-Chavez@MiamiSAO.com or (305) 547-0535.

Read More

Investigation Report: Eric Fernandez

On May 19, 2020, an investigative report was signed by State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle in the officer-involved shooting investigation involving Eric Fernandez.

Click below to view/print investigative report.

Eric Fernandez Investigation Report

Read More

Investigation Report: Armond Alex

On May 19, 2020, an investigative report was signed by State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle in the officer-involved shooting case involving Armond Alex.

Click below to view/print investigative report.

Armond Alex Investigative Report

Read More

Investigation Report: Reinaldo Gonzalez Montalvo

On May 12, 2020, an investigative report was signed by State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle in the officer-involved shooting case involving Reinaldo Gonzalez Montalvo.

Click below to view/print investigative report.

Reinaldo Gonzalez Montalvo

Read More

Investigation Report: Ronald Neubauer

On May 11, 2020 an investigative report was signed by State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle in the officer-involved shooting case involving Officer Ronald Neubauer.

Click below to view/print investigative report.

Ronald Neubauer Investigation Report

Read More